Thursday, October 11, 2012

Charly Boy now called Linda – 'Abuja is my Resting Place'

Undeniably a living legend in Nigeria's entertainment scene, Charles Oputa popular called Charly boy or known by other names; His Royal Punkness, Area Father and more recently Linda, is an interesting personality to interact with. Despite his eccentric veneer, Charly Boy is a unique personality, a very philosophical person that thinks outside the box. He is open to anyone and ever willing to mentor motivated youth who have a talent. As he puts it "my doors are open to anyone who wants to discover and express him self artistically".


Most Nigerians know Charly boy for his popular TV show "The Charly boy show" which in the 1990s was at one time the 4th most watched TV program in Nigeria, but more especially Charly Boy is known as the weird, enigmatic cousin of Dr. Alban who has an unusual dress sense and loves Power bikes.


Currently appearing as "Linda" on Nigerian Idol as a judge, Charly boy despite his talent isn't a professional musician as he puts it "Music is just a hobby not a profession for me, I'm a communicator" He's into Public Relations were he consults for State and Federal Government or anyone who can afford his services.


As my encounter with Charly boy was about to begin, I was overcome by nervousness unable to handle the situation I found myself as I tried to come to terms with a face to face encounter with a man I so much respect not for his status, but his very forthright independence and willingness to express his true artistic persona regardless of how the world objects to it.


I wondered why he no longer resided in Lagos but chose Abuja "I didn't relocate, Nigeria is my home, I'm more in Abuja than Lagos but Nigeria is my home, where I reside in Nigeria depends on my mood, Abuja is my resting place". Charly boy's perspective about Abuja confirms a widely held believe that the capital city is losing the beautiful sights it was known for. "If you were in Abuja 3 or 4 years ago you would describe it as a peaceful place for resting but now it's becoming rowdy". A man like Charly boy obviously loves to socialize and have hangouts but not so as he says he's only in Abuja to rest, not to do business or socialize.


His Royal Punkness on his view about honours especially National honours and Chieftaincy titles says "I have only one title, Area Father of the whole of Africa and as far as I'm concerned that supersedes any national honour or Chieftaincy title" as he asks "who are the chiefs? Most of the Chiefs are 'the' thieves besides how will that sound with the brand Charly Boy – Chief Charly boy?" He doesn't accept awards because he believes he must have done something remarkable to deserve an award "what we have in Nigeria today is people giving awards because they expect to receive something from you in return and so 9 out of 10 times I'll turn down an award or honour if I'm offered."


Charly boy sets a precedence for many Nigerian role models, why accept accolades if you're going to pay for them? It's really up to us to honour ourselves with great deeds as I'm tempted to ask if folks like Dr. Nelson Mandela appreciate awards by rewarding those who bestow it on them? Food for thought indeed!


A side of Charly boy you may not know is what he likes to eat. "I'm like a goat, I love vegetables especially salads, fish pepper soup, prawns, snails and other seafood". He's a health freak, he drinks a lot of water and does a lot of exercises. Sure enough like every human being there are things he likes and doesn't like. "I love my Family very much, my bikes and I love to inspire and encourage young people who have a talent and need someone to teach them how to weather storms and express themselves creatively". He doesn't like fake people, people with group mentality, lazy and dishonest people.


For Charly boy (Linda), he enjoys mentorship and social engineering, encouraging young and willing talents to make a difference in their world not for commercial reasons but according to him "it's a way to find fulfillment". His Life's philosophy is "Anything and everything is possible as long as you believe in yourself."


Finally, Charly boy dispels of a frivolous rumor about power bikes in Abuja – that you can't ride a power bike without getting his consent – "Do I make power bikes, how can I stop another person from riding his power bike?" His parting words to Abuja:


"People should try and get the environment as clean as it used to be. It has gone to the dogs".


Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 BJB-007.com | by TNB